Usually it's one of three things messing up your ability to use Record by Computer in Grasshopper.
- If you can't record or play back recorded greetings, the issue is likely related to the lack of a Java plug-in. See below for instructions on getting Java.
- If you get an error that says "Unable to save settings for Greeting. Please try again." when trying to save or upload the greeting you just recorded, it is most likely due to not waiting until the greeting has finished playing before saving and uploading it. Try recording it again, but don't play the greeting this time and just save it. Don't worry, you'll have a chance to play it after it saves before you activate it.
- Your browser may need you to enable your computer's microphone first. See below for instructions on enabling the mic.
Install Java using the instructions below:
Record by Computer can only work if you have the Java plug-in.
- Visit http://java.com/en/download/ to download the latest version of Java.
- Open the set-up file. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing Java.
Apple supplies its own version of Java. Java version 7 is not compatible with Chrome. Although not recommended due to security vulnerabilities, you can restore Java version 6 to continue using Chrome.
Please follow the instructions below to enable your mic:
When recording a greeting over the computer, you may be prompted to “allow” or “don’t allow” inuui.us.grasshopper.com. This is your browser informing you that the website is going to use your microphone and speakers to record the greeting.
You should see the name of the microphone listed (everyone’s will be different).
Simply select Allow and you can click the microphone button to begin recording.
If you check off “Remember” You will not be prompted each time you try to record your greetings.