The main greeting is the first thing a caller hears when they call your Grasshopper number. It's generally used on accounts with multiple extensions for callers to choose from (as opposed to a single call-forwarding number).
The default Grasshopper main greeting says “Thank you for calling. To speak to a representative, please press 0”. To change the default greeting, create your own customized main greeting to use for your Grasshopper number. Before you create your main greeting, write a script of what you want your main greeting to say.
Once your script is ready, Grasshopper has several recording options to choose from:
- Voice Studio – Have a voice actor record your greeting.
- Record via Phone – Record your own greeting using your phone.
- Upload audio file – Use an audio file.
- Record by Computer – Use your computer’s microphone.
To create your customized main greeting, do the following:
- Log in at https://portal.us.grasshopper.com/login.aspx.
- Go to Settings > Greetings.
- Next to Main Greeting, click Change Greeting.
- To create a new greeting, click Create new greeting.
- Select a recording option:
- Voice Studio - Click Voice Studio and follow these instructions.
- Record via Phone
- Click Use.
- Follow the on screen instructions to record your greeting.
- Upload audio file
- Click Upload.
- Select your file and click upload greeting.
- Record by Computer
- Click Record.
- Click microphone icon to start the recording.
- To use your new greeting, click Use next to your new greeting.
- Optional: Choose how calls are handled if there is no input after the main greeting displays, by selecting one of the following:
- Repeat main greeting (default)
- Transfer to an extension
- End call
Your new greeting will played when callers call your number. It may take a few minutes for your greeting to take effect. To ensure your Grasshopper number is set to play your greeting, go to Numbers and select your greeting.