How do I verify my toll-free number for messaging?
Due to new compliance regarding messaging from toll-free phone numbers, verification is recommended for SMS from toll-free numbers. The regulation is put in place to protect consumers from receiving spam messages. Please note that texts cannot be sent from a toll-free number to a Canadian number.
Why do I need toll-free messaging verification?
Receiving verification lowers the chance of message filtering from your toll-free number when sending to all major networks in the US.
Ineligible use cases
|High-Risk Financial Services||
|Get Rich Quick Schemes||
What is opt-in and opt-out?
- Customers who agree to receive text messages from a business "opt-in".
- Customers who unsubscribe to text messages from a business "opt-out".
Example: A business's contact website page will often have a message to the effect of "By calling or texting this number XXX-XXX-XXXX, customers agree to receive text messages. If you no longer wish to receive text messages, you may opt out at any time by replying "STOP"."
How do I start the verification process?
- Download and fill out this form using a PDF editor or MS Word (hand written forms will not be accepted). It’s not necessary to include samples of every different message you send to customers, but it is recommended that your message samples are representative of much of the messaging you plan to send. Learn more about filling out the form.
Important: If you do not fully complete the form there will be delays in processing the verification.
- The carrier will also need proof of consent. Please include one of the following:
Attention: Failure to obtain express end-user consent (opt-in) or respect the end-user’s right to revoke consent (opt-out) will result in carrier rejection of your submission. Consent cannot be obtained by virtue of an existing business relationship.
- If website opt-in: Screenshots of webform where the customer adds their number and agrees to receive messaging.
- Website posting (support): Where the number is advertised and where customers find the number to text.
- If keyword or QR code opt-in: Photos or screenshots of where customers find the keyword to opt-in to messaging.
- If voice/IVR opt-in: Screenshot record of opt-in via voice in customer database or CRM. (i.e., screenshot of a check box in your CRM showing the customer opted in and the date).
- 2FA/OTP: Screenshot of the process to receive the initial text.
- Paper form (Customer/Employee): Photo or screenshot of the form.
- Once completed, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Grasshopper Toll Free Verification", and include your filled out form, proof of consent, and your Primary PIN.
Customer support will provide an answer once the carrier completes the verification process. If your application is denied, you can contact customer support to trade your toll-free number for a local number. You will not lose your phone number.