How do I transfer a local phone number to Grasshopper?
Transferring your current local numbers to Grasshopper takes a few steps, but we know you can do it! The list below is long, but it’s not as scary as it looks. Promise!
Here’s what you’ll need to do to complete the transfer:
Step 1: Check for Eligibility
Make sure that your local number is eligible for transfer. If ANY of the conditions below are true for the number you want to transfer, the number is NOT eligible for transfer just yet. You’ll need to correct these issues with your existing carrier before being eligible to transfer the number to Grasshopper.
Go through these statements below to see if any are true:
- You have a contractual agreement that prohibits transferring your number.
- The telephone number you are transferring to Grasshopper is associated with an ISDN account.
- The telephone number you are transferring to Grasshopper is disconnected.
- You have DSL service on the telephone number you are transferring to Grasshopper. You must switch DSL service to another number or switch to a new Internet service provider (e.g., cable or satellite service) before proceeding with the transfer.
- You have distinctive ring feature on the telephone number you are transferring to Grasshopper. Distinctive ring must be removed prior to transferring the number.
- You have a PIC Freeze or provider change restrictions on the telephone number you are transferring to Grasshopper. You must remove the freeze and restrictions in order to transfer your number.
- If the local number you are porting is a Google Voice number, please contact Google Voice to ‘unlock’ your number.
If any of the above statements apply, we will not be able to transfer your local number to Grasshopper until the condition are resolved. If you need help resolving these conditions, get in touch with customer support and we can assist you.
IMPORTANT - We work on top of your current phone system and do not provide a dial tone, so if the number you’d like to transfer is the number you currently use to make calls, you’ll want to get another line to make outbound calls with.
Step 2: Set up your Grasshopper account!
This is the fun part! If you haven't already signed up with Grasshopper, sign up for your account now . As part of the transfer process, you’ll need to indicate which account the local number should be transferred to (more info on this is in Step 4). You can use any number in Your Numbers section of your account to do this.
To find your numbers, go to Settings, select Your Numbers, then choose Add New Number:
Next, choose the option to transfer an existing number:
Note: If you started using Grasshopper before June 2011, your account may look different.
- Go to My Account
- Select Numbers
Step 3: Submit Transfer Request
You’re almost done!! Visit our Transfer Form to begin the process of transferring your number to Grasshopper.
Next, fax your completed transfer forms and a copy of your most recent bill from your existing provider to 866.388.8869.
- Numbers cannot be transferred with a P.O. Box listed as the service address. Make sure you provide the actual physical service address that is listed with your current provider.
- If you’re requesting a transfer of multiple numbers, all telephone numbers associated with the transfer request must be associated to the same billing telephone number . The telephone number you are transferring to Grasshopper must be active, in service, and remain in service until the transfer is completed. Please DO NOT cancel the number with your existing provider until the transfer is complete.
Step 4: Processing the Transfer
The final frontier! Once we receive your completed transfer forms and a copy of your most recent bill, we'll begin processing your transfer. The entire transfer process can take up to four weeks. In some extreme cases where there are delays due to rejections from your former provider, the process may take up to six weeks. We will keep you informed of progress throughout the transfer period.
As long as your account remains active with your former provider while we process your transfer request, you won’t experience any down time. However, it is possible that your local number may be unavailable for a short period of time during the final stages of the transfer process, depending on the providers involved. (Make sure to plan accordingly and have an alternate number in working order for your business!)
If you need any additional help with this transfer process, reach out to Grasshopper Support. We won’t be able to actually process transfer requests or check statuses for you, but we can get you through to the people who can help. Our Number Management Department and the underlying providers are available to help Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST.