Yes, but there’s a process involved. Some carriers just refuse to release toll free numbers. According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) (who regulates which toll-free numbers can be used or obtained), toll-free numbers must be portable. This means a toll-free number subscriber/end user (that’s you!) has the right to transfer/port a number to the provider of their choice (that’s Grasshopper!).

If your current provider is “hoarding” your toll free number, or refusing to transfer it, Grasshopper can force through the transfer of your number. You’ll need to make sure your account with your provider is in good standing, and make sure we can prove that the information on your invoice matches the information you have provided. This procedure is a last resort, and be aware that your carrier may attempt to force the transfer of your number back. There is also a strong possibility that they may disconnect your number before the number gets routed to us, which we unfortunately don’t have control over.

Before initiating this forced transfer, we strongly urge you to resolve any issues with your former carrier by bringing the FCC regulations to their attention. If that's not possible, you can file a complaint with the FCC. There is no charge for filing a complaint. You can do so online here:

Also, you can file a complaint with the FCC's Consumer Center by :


1-888-CALL- FCC (1-888-225-5322) or
1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY


Federal Communications Commission Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division

445 12th Street, SW Washington, D.C. 20554