Is my local phone number eligible to be transferred to Grasshopper Connect?
You can easily transfer most toll-free and local phone numbers into your Grasshopper Connect account. However, in some cases it’s not possible for Grasshopper Connect to take ownership of a certain local phone numbers. It's very important to make sure that your local number is eligible for transfer before starting the transfer process.
If you answer “yes” to any of the questions below, then the phone number will not be eligible for transfer to Grasshopper Connect until you correct the issues with the help of your existing carrier. If you are not sure of the answer to some of these, please contact your existing carrier for more information.
- Is the phone number disconnected?
- Do you have a contractual agreement that prohibits transferring your number?
- Is the phone number located outside of the United States or Canada? We only support U.S. and Canadian phone numbers at this time.
- Is the phone number associated with an Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) account?
- Do you have DSL service on the phone number? If so, you must switch DSL service to another number or switch to a new Internet service provider (e.g., cable or satellite service) before proceeding with the transfer.
- Is there a distinctive ring feature set up on the phone number? If so, please remove it before transferring.
- Is there a Primary InterExchange Carrier (PIC) Freeze or provider change restriction on the account? This block must be removed before you can transfer your number.
- Is the phone number a Google Voice number? If so, please you must first unlock your Google Voice number.
- Is this the only phone number you use to make calls? Once transferred, the phone number will become a virtual number without a dial tone, so you should acquire another line to make outbound calls outside of Grasshopper Connect before you transfer.
Once you’re sure your local number is eligible for transfer, you can begin the transfer process! If it is not possible for your local number to be transferred, you can also consider setting up call forwarding from your existing provider.
Note that these eligibility requirements are specific to transferring local numbers only. Toll-free phone numbers generally do not have such restrictions.